Calcium Heart Score Scan
A Calcium Heart Score is a form of the familiar CT (or CAT) scan, which captures cross-sectional images of the heart at sub-second rates. This unique CT technology allows the detection of small amounts of calcium in the coronary arteries.
With the Calcium Heart Score Scan we can measure the buildup of calcium deposits and compare it to the standard for your age and gender. This test, along with other indicators, presents an overall picture of your heart health.
Unlike many medical tests, the Calcium Heart Score Scan is fast, painless and non-invasive. There is no preparation necessary for a heart scan. The entire process only takes about 30 minutes.
The Calcium Heart Score Scan Test is most appropriate for men, age 35-70 and women 40-70 who have any of the following risk factors:
- Family history of heart disease
- High cholesterol
- High blood pressure
What You Should Expect During the Exam
- You need a prescription from your doctor indicating “Heart Calcium Scoring”.
- Call 298-2370 for an appointment.
- The cost of your “Heart Calcium Score” is $154 (US). Cash, MasterCard, Visa or personal check are accepted at the time of service.
- There is no need to change your clothes. You will be lying comfortably on the scan table for about 5 minutes.
- Echocardiogram leads will be placed on your chest.
- You will be asked to hold your breath for a few seconds. The scan is painless and emits a small amount of radiation.
- Our Radiologist will discuss the results with you and your images will be reviewed with you.
- Your results will also be mailed or faxed to your physician.